News

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Chain React: A Poster Project



Here's an idea that will allow everyone to make a poster how they want and collaborate with others at the same time. Have you ever done that creative writing exercise where one person writes the beginning of a story, then passes it on for the next person to write the next part, and so on? We'll this is really a visual version of that. I have created a poster, which you might call the beginning of the story, and I am looking for folks to collaborate by adding the next pieces of the story. They will assemble together like I have illustrated in the image above. However there is no limit to how large this piece can be and it can expand in any direction. The end result will be a large amorphous collection of posters, connected to each other at the border by whatever visual element, but each individual poster will be your own unique creation. Feel free to change the "story" as radically as you wish, there are no constraints except for the following few guidelines.

Here's how this works:
1) look at where the art of the adjacent poster has extended off the page (where the story "left off", right?)
2) design your poster
3) extend a part of it off the page in some way to make the next person able to transition from your art to their own.
4) repeat until we have a big 'ol collection of posters which are indiviually cool, but all still connected visually.

The size we are workin' with here is standard Legal size: 8.5 x 14. I'm open minded to other ideas about format, just let me know. I figure its sort of a cool oblong shape that will look really interesting when its all put together. Plus its small enough so that you can design something quickly and easily.

Now you might ask, how will this be organized? How do I know what side of the poster to start from, and will I be doing work that someone else is doing? That will be regulated by me like this:
I will make a post on this blog displaying the current status of the piece, assembled correctly, and then anyone interested will leave a comment on the post calling where they wish to start from, on a first come first serve basis. This way we have a written, online record of who said they were doing what. Since we only have a few weeks until the show starts, please only call your shot if you can finish the piece in a timely fashion (2-3 days or less).

This can really be a fun and exciting piece, and the more people that participate the bigger, and better it will be. Consider this to be post #1 of the project, starting with my poster. I have designed it so that there are 3 sides to connect your work to: the left, top and right. I am excited to see the stuff you all come up with.

First Poster

3 comments:

Jen Dockter said...

So each person does a single panel?
I'll take the top :S

C.Keller said...

you can do any amount of posters you want. it doesnt have to be just one panel, but do one at a time.

Justin said...

I Claim Right Side